January 12, 2006

balance. lessons. sisters.

I had a wonderful talk with my sister today about life and how unbalanced some things seem, but yet how they all work out in the end, and how connected we all really are in the lessons we are to learn from life. I must also mention that my sister is not an overly-emotional or spiritual person, but still likes to remain optimistic about life despite her straight-forward thinking.

My sister was very lucky in love. Married her first real boyfriend, never been dumped by anyone, and never had her heart broken. If there's any heart in the world that's fully intact, it would be my sister's. Her falling in love was really love at first sight, and a wonderful story to tell. But while happily married, they struggle to keep financial bliss, as is common with so many people. They get by with great effort. Then we took a look at my life. I would say that I have financial security. I get by with little effort. But I lack the happiness of true love, and had my heart broken many times before. It may have something to do with the fact that I was once quick to fall in love, but none-the-less ended up broken-hearted. Oddly enough, the trouble now is that I find myself refraining from falling in love, and take too much time to fall.

Anyway, then we began to examine all the people around us and how each of their characters and their lessons are helping us progress in the lessons in our lives. We took a look at our parents, our friends, her husband (I don't have one hahaha), and how our lives compare. We found our imbalances to be so different, yet so similar.

Since she moved away to Detroit, she finds that she misses her friends the most, and wants someone to talk to other than her husband (though she loves him very much), even though letting them go when she moved was "doable". Then I said, that I would love to have someone to turn to, other than my friends (though I love them very much), and that I have a hard time letting people go. Then she said that her hubby, Marcin, has friends to turn to, so it's different for him. So I said that most of my friends have boyfriends/girlfriends to turn to, so it's different for them. Through this simple discussion, we found that while her and I are complete opposites, we are here for each other in this life, as sisters, to help each other with our imbalances and how to make the most of them.

We are each other's devil's advocates when we engage in heated arguments. Although I shouldn't call them arguments - they're discussions but because she's still the sis that used to taddle tale on me if a boy called me when I was 12, I think of every conversation we have as arguing, hahahaha.

Anyway, we realized that in order for us to find a happy balance for each other and not stay in the world of extremes, we would both have to work hard at what we want to achieve. She would have to work on her financial decisions and making friends, while I would have to work on finally letting myself fall in love with someone, but then again, not just anyone, but the right person, and work on learning to let go.

So, just as we think that opposites and our imbalances work against us, if you only open up yourself to the bigger picture, you might find that those who give you the hardest time, are those that will teach you most. Also remember that we are only faced with challenges that we can handle. So if you are faced with something you think you can't live through, think again and remain optimistic that you will get through it. Happy Learning!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

...but who's counting?
visitors