January 13, 2006

TTC = Take The Car

This morning I woke up and I said to myself, "today's friday, I think I'll take the car" so I ate breakfast, got ready and left my apartment at 7:35am. But as I was taking the stairs down, at about the 7th floor, I thought, "nah, I'll just take the bus - it's nice out today, the walk will do me good...yes, that's a great idea, I think I'll do that." What follows is a reason why you should always follow through with the original plan.

I took the bus to the SRT Station and saw my train just leave the platform. I thought "no problem, I'll wait for another one, it's packed anyway - I'm good on time." I saw the northbound train on the other side of the platform and it was stalling for a long time. Then after 5 minutes, all the people on the train got up and left to board shuttle buses going to McCowan station, but none to Kennedy, so I thought "Ok, we're fine, it must just be the other side that's affected" , especially since I just saw a train leave my side of the platform. So I waited, along with everyone else, but still kept our eye out incase any of the Shuttle Buses were headed to Kennedy Station, but no, they were all to McCowan Station. BTW, no announcement has been made by this point, but I start to worry and at 7:55 called work to make sure someone opens reception at 8:30.

About five minutes later, we all start to get worried since a train should be coming every 3 minutes or so, and it's already been 10 minutes, or thereabouts. We kept eyeing the bus platform from where we were standing for any buses going to Kennedy, but again, they were all going to McCowan. Then, the man beside me thought to leave the subway platform, walk out and check if there are any buses behind the building, a small area behind the station. He never came back. Another young man followed, and didn't come back either. I followed, and what I found were two empty shuttle buses just sitting behind the building where it's not visible to anyone waiting for people get on. Just sitting there, she was actually even doing her nails, as if it's no biggie. And again, at this point not even 1 announcement has been made about available shuttle buses because the subways were down - not 1, during their busiest time of the day.

Eventually, more and more people must have noticed the platform getting emptier and within 3 minutes, the bus was packed and going to Kennedy Station. Everyone was panicking, calling their employers that they're going to be late, and assured them that they're on their way, and should be there shortly once we got to the station.

When we got to the station, at 8:10, we had to circle around to find an available spot to unload, since shuttle buses don't have a designated spot. At this point, everyone was sighing and pushing, waiting to get out.

I got on the westbound train at 8:12 and was happy that at least I would be on my way, and was only going to be late by 15 minutes since it takes about 20 minutes to get to St. George. Riiiiiiight, that didn't happen. Oh no, it's Friday the 13th, things couldn't have possibly go right today.

We sat at Kennedy for about 5 minutes before we left the platform, so at 8:18am we left the platform. Normally, at 8:18, I'm already at St. George transfering to the Southbound trains to be at work at 8:27. Anyway, we left the platform and things were off to a good start, we passed our first station, Warden, and I was happy. Then about 20 seconds after leaving Warden, we crawl our way to the next station. At 8:30, which is my starting time, I was only on my 4th station - 16 more to go.

I arrived at work at 9:18. It took me about 1.5 hours to get to work today, which normally takes me 45 minutes. So no lunch for me today, yay.
Lesson learned? Take the car.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

...but who's counting?
visitors